The Souvenir Historical Map of the Town of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Ontario.
Compiled and drawn by Frank Johnson, published in June 1894 and priced at
This map gives us the opportunity to compare Then with Now ---- for example:
1. At the mouth of One Mile creek
Then: A hotel is shown on a body of water grandly named "Lake Como".
Now: The hotel site is a private residence overlooking a languid pond bisected by Niagara Blvd.
2. Between the foot of King Street and the foot of Lockhart Street
Then: A Sandy Beach.
Now: Lockhart Street does not even exist and, as a result of the approximate
4 foot rise in Lake Ontario as a consequence of the building of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the 1950s, the Sandy beach no longer exists either.
3. At the foot of Gate Street in the grounds of the lakeside Queen's Royal Hotel
Then: A "Believers Pavilion" which was part of the Queen's Royal Hotel hosted an annual retreat of the Niagara Bible Conference for several years in the 1890s.
Now: The site is adjacent to the Niagara Golf Club's Club House which is
4. Close to the junction of King Street and Delater Street
Then: A natural Spring, used it is said by townsfolk for fresh water year round.
Now: The Spring is still there and quite visible from the street, but used only for garden watering by the homeowner upon whose property it is located.
Hiscott, James M.L.A.
Rev. T.A. Furgison
Average depth of River 25-35 feet
Average Ground Depth to limestone rock 25 feet
Niagara Bible Conference
British warships Mohawk & Miness Stationed here in 1837
Coast guard station
Current of River 4 miles per hour
Electric light plant
Ferry to Youngstown
Fishermans Inclosure and Drying Ground
Michigan Central Railway
Old Masonic Hall
Presbyterian Church and Cemetary
Queens Royal Hotel
Water tower Resivoir
Water works building